PennFuture was created by the Pew Charitable Trusts and the Heinz Endowments in 1998 to conduct professional advocacy for strong environmental and public health policies. Over our organization's history, we've enjoyed significant policy victories that will protect public health and natural resources and move Pennsylvania toward a clean energy future and a green economy.
PennFuture has also provided tens of millions of dollars of pro bono legal services to citizens throughout Pennsylvania, establishing a long track record of successes that have set critical precedents, improved local conditions, reduced pollution, and ensured that local, state, and environmental laws are enforced.
PennFuture creates a just future where nature, communities and the economy thrive. By conducting strategic campaigns for policy change and by enforcing laws, we are the guardian of the environment and public health as well as the most effective advocate for a clean economy. PennFuture mobilizes citizens, crafts compelling communications, and provides excellent legal services and policy analysis. We transform public policy, public opinion and the marketplace by advancing effective public policies for clean energy production, pollution reduction, sound land use, and for safeguarding the climate.
The Philadelphia Inquirer called PennFuture "Pennsylvania's leading environmental advocacy organization."
What is PennFuture doing?
- We're working to replace old, outdated dirty sources of power with clean, renewable Pennsylvania-made electricity.
- We're fighting factory farm pollution.
- We're helping to stop damage from mining and drilling.
- We're protecting watersheds from sprawl and pollution.
- We're reducing global warming pollution.
- We're watchdogging state government.
- We're providing $2 million per year of free legal services to protect the environment.
PennFuture has many victories and
stands toe-to-toe with some mighty opponents.
- We stood up to polluters and fought for a strong state rule to clean up toxic mercury pollution from the Commonwealth's power plants.
- We lead the fight for passage of a new law that requires the state's electricity providers to supply ever larger amounts of renewable energy to their customers.
- We won $80 million to support clean, renewable electricity in utility cases.
- We convinced Governor Rendell to support a nearly $1 billion bond issue for environmental funding.
- We save water, streams, parks and undeveloped pristine areas around the Commonwealth.
Please browse our website for more information on this and all the other work that PennFuture does on behalf of Pennsylvania, its environment and its citizens.
You can help PennFuture continue to grow and succeed.
Participate in our many volunteer opportunities. No matter where you are in the Commonwealth, you can help by writing letters to newspapers, planning events, providing administrative support or visiting legislators. Sign up to be a PennFuture volunteer today
Don't wait for tomorrow. Start building now for a better future by supporting our efforts.
Join PennFuture, Pennsylvania's leading and most effective environmental organization. By doing this, you will help enforce our laws and watchdog Pennsylvania's government.
You WILL make a difference!
George Jugovic Jr.
President & CEO
P.S. PennFuture always tries to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. That's why we own a hybrid vehicle for staff use and make sure our activities add nothing to the problem of global warming. Please consider joining us in the use of clean, renewable energy.
Copyright 2013 PennFuture. All Rights Reserved.